Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Getting healthy, for free!




Let me tell you about some very cool FREE ideas to utilize while you may be sitting on your bum reading blogs.

1. Online pedometer. Google has made it easy to figure out how far you are hoofin' it. You just enter the starting address and click on each place you stop, or turn, and it can even figure out your return route in one click!

2. Online health tracker. Fitday has lots of foods already in its database, and you can easily add a food that it may not have. You can add your activities and see how many calories you're burning. It also has an online journal so you can keep track of how you're feeling, any obstacles and anything else you can think of!

3. Online recipes. Allrecipes, where would I be without you? I love the "Advanced Search" feature of this. I can input the ingredients I have, and a cooking method (i.e., slow cooker) and it will spit out all the recipes related to my search. Tons of low-fat, low-carb and other generally healthy recipes out there to discover!

These three websites definitely work for me! Visit Shannon for other awesome ideas!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of the Google thing so I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting and commenting. About the EVOO, I use it as if I was going to use hair conditoner (after shampooing). It leaves it so nice and smooth. For the headaches, I use olive oil almost everyday and I am proned to migraines and thank the Lord I haven't had any migraines. I really think it's b/c of the EVOO.
You can read an article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4204076.stm

Edi said...

I've used those websites as well. My only problem with Fitday and others like that are - I get frustrated when I make a stew or mixed meal and can't accurately record the calories. I don't have the patience to add in all the ingredients.

But - I still like to use Fitday b/c it allows me to keep a running total of the stuff I can easily record and can see how much leeway I have left if I'm looking for a snack...helps me not overdo things.

Mom2fur said...

OMG, that on-line pedometer is a riot! I just mapped out my son's walk to school (.57 miles)!

I love Allrecipes! Another recipe site you might enjoy is Supercook.com. You plug in what you have on hand and it generates recipes you can make 'right now' or tells you if you need ingredients, starting with only one you'll need and working up to more. I always try to do the "0" ingredients needed to save money!