Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mamma Mia!

Handsome and I saw this musical when it was in Denver this past May. It was such a HOOT! The energy of the cast was palpable. The costumes were amazing.

But the singing, oh wow, was terrific! The producers said that the songs were just waiting for the musical to be written, even though they were conceived years apart.

I'm not a die hard ABBA fan, so I didn't know all their songs by heart. But I did totally groove out to the ones I knew (hello? Dancing Queen?)

This past Monday I went with several girlfriends to go see the movie. It was set in Greece so the scenery alone was breathtaking.

The movie did not disappoint. It followed the musical quite closely and the actors were all adorable. I particularly adore Christine Baranski, although in this movie, it seems her nose was approaching Michael Jackson proportions. What is up with that?

There were moments in the movie I thought Meryl Streep looked super great (she turned 59 this summer) but there were some shots that made her look just old. It was sad to see. I mean, she's a knockout, really. I thought she was fantastic in Manchurian Candidate and inspiring in Angels in America. I felt like this movie wasn't her best, but damn, at least they could've made her SHINE!

Oh, and I totally fell in love all over again with Pierce Brosnan. Yum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great review, I've yet to see the film, but have heard very good reports of it, once from my mum who thought it was fab.
I heard about the making/plans of it about 10 years ago, sounded like a great idea and how funny that the songs were made for it ...without the writers knowing!

Heather said...

I am wanting to see this movie soo much. Being in the heart of country music, we don't get many Broadway plays here, either.