Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Father's Day




With my dad living so far away, I have to plan a way to celebrate Father's Day in advance. Sometimes it's hard, because of the history between us, to convey my feelings on Father's Day. The card shops never have the right card for my sentiments. If I get a generic card, I always feel like I'm not being entirely truthful.


He wasn't there for me when I was growing up.
He wasn't the ideal male figure in my life.
He wasn't the man who I looked up to for Mr. Fix-it help or youth sports coaching.


At some point, I decided to forego the traditional Hallmark cards and just buy blank ones to express myself on Father's Day. Since my dad is retired, and we're still physically and somewhat emotionally distant, I really falter on gift-giving decisions too. I mean, the ties are irrelevant now and I must've given him at least a hundred golf balls over the years.


This year, I went the edible route. There is a cookie shop that delivers all across the country. It's called Cookies By Design and they have cookies for all occasions. You can choose as few as a 3 cookie bouquet to 7 or 9 cookie bouquets. They are totally adorable!








And that works for me!


8 comments:

Renna said...

What a great idea, for anyone, really! :-)

Aubrey said...

good thought. everyone loves cookies. Thanks for visiting the blog! I wanted to say that I'd guess using dough from a can would work great - I don't know why it wouldn't. I'd say just use whatever you have. And making homemade pizza dough is really easy - so don't be intimidated.

Wani said...

Why do we so often feel like we have to find a "card" to express how we feel? Its much more meaningful to just say it ourselves anyway! Thanks for this Father's Day post and for stopping by Wani's World!

Anonymous said...

Great post. I think I'm more amazed that you sincerely attempt to keep in touch and give gifts to a father you feel distant from. My dad passed away a few years ago, but his stomach was always a great aim when it came to gift ideas.

Tami@ourhouse said...

Cool idea. I know what you mean about the cards!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Erin K. said...

Great idea! They have a location near me and I never even knew it was there. I'll have to keep this mind for those people that are difficult to shop for.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Anonymous said...

I can understand where you're coming from with the fathers day cards. Sounds like you've found the best solution, love your cookie gift idea, how fab is that :) (I haven't seen anything like that in UK)

thanks again for dropping by my blog, so nice to see your friendly comments.

Dawn said...

I love using blank cards for different occasions and writing what I want to write. I love the cookie idea, too.