Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cookin' crock pot style

This coming week is Vacation Bible School at church. They do VBS at night (which I think is an AWESOME idea) and thought that if they added a dinner element beforehand, it might make everything less stressful for all involved.

Cooking, I can do. Bible teaching, not so much. So, using the gifts that God has given me, I volunteered to organize and prepare the pre-VBS dinner, each night. It's looking like there may be around 40 kids, and some of them have parents who will come eat, too. So, I may be cooking for the masses.

The VBS theme is a carnival type atmosphere, and the suggestions I received were hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. Of course, I was thinking pizza, lasagna, anything that would be easy to prepare for a LOT of people.

Then I realized that Handsome and I already had plans, away from church, for the first two of the three nights of VBS. Which means, we couldn't actually be there to cook for anyone. Hmmm, this would be interesting.

Crock pots to the rescue! I am borrowing three crocks from three girlfriends to accomplish this much cooking for this many people.

The first night, we are making sloppy joes. Lots of sloppy joe mix (in two crock pots), buns, chips and fruit. Done.
The second night will be corn dogs (in the oven), mac n cheese (in one crock pot) and fruit. Done.
The third night we will make a taco bar with taco meat (in two crock pots), shells, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Done!

After reading Stephanie's blog, I realized that there should be no fear in relying on a crock pot for three dinners in a row. Stephanie has made a New Year's Resolution to use her crock pot every day in 2008. She has some delicious recipes, I literally drool over them!

So, with a lot of prayer and a little luck, I'll come out of VBS week unscathed and those kids (and parents) will hopefully not go hungry!

1 comment:

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

I love that plan! I also love the crock pot. I could not live without it.