Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Twelve words which changed my life

Human thoughts have a tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent.


Twelve words. That's all.

Let's see, there are the days when I'm miserable and the whole world looks dark. If I consciously change my thought pattern, the world brightens up immediately.

Even if it's gloomy outside, I can rejoice in that, knowing that God is building the clouds to deliver much needed rain to my plants.

It is the situations which lead me to want to argue with myself, berate myself, get angry with my husband, be a slacker at work... Those are when I need to realize that I can change it all.

I will never be perfect. Although I try to attain perfection all. the. time. And I want the same for my husband. And he won't ever be perfect, either! So I need to realize that there is no such thing as human perfection. All we can do is our best.

When we put our best self forward, the rest doesn't really matter. If our best isn't good enough for some people, then they are asking too much. I like high expectations. I like challenges. I can learn to have high expectations of myself and my family without making them unattainable.

Handsome's dad is an example of how his mentality has changed his physicality. From the time of his young adulthood, he has had a "chip on his shoulder", for lack of a better term. He has believed that the universe owed him something. (I believe the universe owes us all something, it's just up to us to go out and get it.) He never did anything about it except complain. And drink.

There was a time in his life when he was very creative, making by hand these exquisite pieces of furniture. Several pieces now adorn our own home. Although I did not know the man during that period of his life, I'm willing to wager that he was a happy being when he was creating that furniture. His creativity flowed, he saw results in these awesome dressers and nightstands and headboards.

Until he stopped. Then life turned its back on him. Or rather, he turned his back on life. And settled down with a six 30 pack.

His body has adjusted to the toxin of alcohol ever since. It has manifested in gout and arthritis and the limited usage of his hands and constant pain in all his joints.

He laments the fact that he no longer has the workshop where he can create.

Truthfully, he no longer has the desire or the ability, but he doesn't realize that it is all tied up together.

Step one does not have to be to stop drinking in order to feel better about himself so that he may regain his creativity and spark.

Step one can be to feel better about himself! Then he could stop drinking and heal his body, so that it would not be the betrayer he feels it is.

Human thoughts have a tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent.

Change the thought, the body will follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your assessment on the skechers. I have found that the problem is mostly solved if I wear trouser socks and somewhat routinely pour foot powder inside. It's kind of messy, but no one really sees it. I thought of mentioning this in the post, but I decided I should focus on the good parts!
Thanks for stopping by my blog, I will have to catch up on yours :) Very thought-provoking post, I definitely agree but it's hard to remember sometimes.
-Lynn