Sunday, May 11, 2008

Honoring our mothers

Laura at Heavenly Homemakers has a really neat carnival type thing going on in observance of Mother's Day. This is a time of year where we get to honor all the mothers in our lives.


I am awed by all the amazing women out there who are mommin' it and still loving God and their husband and maybe they work or maybe they hang at home with the youngun's. Handsome and I are not yet in the position of being "parental units" to our own little ones but I hope to be a good mom when the time comes.


So, here is my diatribe gushing about some of the super moms in my life.


My mom. She raised me solo and was my best friend throughout the years and across the country. She taught me what it was to fight for what I believed in (even if that school didn't organize a girls wrestling team). She worked hard to support my dreams. She wasn't afraid to let me know that she didn't have all the answers, and that was okay. I always thought she did, though! She always lets me know how proud she is of me. I love you mom.


My grandma. I wish she had a website. She taught me the power of God and that reading the bible once doesn't qualify as "study". Grandma let me know that you can perservere through tragedy multiple times and still come out of the thick of it intact. A small town girl, she showed me that even though I had moved 11 times by my senior year, I could find roots anywhere. Surprisingly, she picked up and moved hundreds of miles away shortly thereafter, showing me you're never too old to start a new life. Thanks grandma, for sharing your life with me.


My son's mom. The woman who agreed to be the mom to the kid I birthed when I knew I wouldn't be able to be the best mom he needed. Here we are, almost TEN YEARS LATER, and I have never regretted my decision. Ever. You're a great mom to him and have taught us all SO MUCH about what it means to love unconditionally. Thank you hardly seems adequate.


My mother-in-law. Really! She rocks. She, too, has gone through enormous life changes and has shown resiliency beyond belief. One tough cookie, she came from a strange land, learned the ropes and built her own empire in the process. She nurtured, loved and raised my husband to be a kind and loving man. For that, I will always be grateful.


My girlfriend Echo. She and her husband decided to adopt because Echo did not want to pass along a genetic illness to a baby. Well, they were blessed with preemie twins who are the most beautiful, smart and courteous girls I just adore. It's tough work, being a mom when you're just a puppy your own self, but Echo has done an incredible job!

My girlfriend Celia. She's still pregnant, but after a long time trying to conceive, I just know she'll make a great mom. She is such a naturalist and I'm totally looking forward to seeing how she deals with mom-ness. I'll update after baby is born!

And me, as a birthmom. I am so blessed to be able to continue my role in my son's life. I strive to be a good example and am continually amazed at the creation I helped to bring to this Earth. Wow!

No comments: