Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The verse of my birth

The idea is that there is a birth verse associated with each of the 366 days of the (leap) year. Several different companies capitalize on this idea by selling bracelets, posters and the like which relate somehow to your birth verse.

Basically, the month and day you were born translate into a specific verse in the bible.

Using the link above, I got this verse from Deuteronomy:
Teach them to your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning until you fall into bed at night.
This is referring to the commandments received by Moses. We have, in our house, a cute little wooden display called "Country Commandments". It fits very well with my husband and me because we are laid back like that. It says:

There is only one GOD. No hankerin' for others stuff.
No cuss'n. Gather on Sunday. No Kill'n.
Mind your Ma and Pa. Cheatin' is forbidd'n.
Ya'll don't steal. No white lies or gossip'n. No false Gods.

Cute, huh?

Another idea I heard about is to look up your birth verse in each of the four gospels.

Here is my birth verse from Matthew (where Jesus speaks about John the Baptist):

The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners."' But wisdom is proved right by her actions.

I didn't like that verse because of all the gluttony and drunkenness. Sometimes it hits a little too close, you know? But they were talking about JESUS so if they thought HE was a lush, well maybe there's hope for me yet!

My birth verse from Mark:
At evening, Jesus and his disciples left the city.
Hoo wee! Good stuff there. What can I glean about my personality from this verse? OK, let me look at it in context. Jesus had arrived in Jerusalem. He went into the Temple and raised heck with all the merchants, throwing them and their wares out of the Temple. The priests and scholars were freaked out because he was a GOOD teacher, thus, they plotted against him. So, Jesus and the twelve got out of Dodge. I guess I should learn when to fold them, too. When to not be so bull-headed and stubborn. Even though Jesus knew he was Son of God, he didn't need to make his last stand be that day. Pick your battles?

Luke has my birth verse as this:
You accuse me of ganging up with the Devil, the prince of demons, to cast out demons, but if you're slinging devil mud at me, calling me a devil who kicks out devils, doesn't the same mud stick to your own exorcists?
This verse shows me that every time I get all worked up about something, I need to take a look and see if I am exhibiting the same behaviors which I find so loathsome in others. Most often, I am. I know it. It's one of the hard things that I have to work on.

My verse in John says:
and many of the Jews had come to visit Mary and Martha, to sympathize and console them, over the death of their brother (Lazarus).

I am not sure what this verse is supposed to mean to me. I feel like I need to act more hospitable toward people. Like if a friend is in pain, and I don't know what to say or how to act, that's okay. I can tell her I don't know what to say to her, or how to act without feeling like a doofus. I can ask what she needs most. I find it hard to intuit what people in pain need most. I think I can work on that.

So that's kind of an interesting exercise, huh? Fun to do in hotel rooms!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is cool. Thanks! Also I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the name of your blog. Fabulous!