Thursday, May 15, 2008

I love the library

Let me count the ways. Well, the city library is just over a mile walk, round trip, from my office. It's an easy excuse to get healthy for free. Getting outside during lunch on a beautiful day is the best cure for office-induced ills.

I get emails from Barnes & Noble and Amazon touting the latest summer books I should read, or movies I should watch, and I open a new tab on my browser to the library's website and see if they have the book (or movie). I can borrow an entire season of Gilmore Girls in one shot, where Netflix only gives me a disc at a time. And the library is FREE.

Sometimes I can get my friend Jesse to walk there and back with me. Those days are so awesome because we will talk and talk and before we know it, we are at the library. Jesse always has to pee when we get there, and we have discovered that the second and third floor restrooms are so much nicer than the first floor restroom. We attribute this to the fact that most of the homeless people who like to hang out in the library, or just stop in to pee, use the first floor restroom. I walked in there once and thought I'd get a contact high from all the dope smoke from a patron who must have just left. Whew!

If I run across an idea, say learning to knit, I check out the website and either reserve my book to pick up later, or note where the book is on the shelf and swing by on my way to the bus stop. Another reason I love the library - it's right next to the bus stop to go home! How convenient!

I just want to give a shout out to all the libraries out there. If you are a book-buyer, and your shelves at home are full to overflowing, may I suggest you get to know your local library? It is such a blessing that we have them, they are FREE, and we will never be able to read all the books within them.

But I'm gonna try!

No comments: