Saturday, May 31, 2008

We Are Phamaly!

My very good friend Troy is almost famous. Actually, in some circles, he's more than famous. He's a star.

He is an actor in the Physically Handicapped Actors & Musical Artists League (Y? Because they ROCK!) Phamaly puts out these amazing theatrical shows. Handsome and I went to go see Troy and company in their latest show, Urinetown: The Musical.

Picture this: Theater in the round. A group of actors singing and dancing. Some of them blind. Others in wheelchairs. All are in perfect unison, perfect choreography. Enough to humble any actor and every audience member. It was great!

We saw Urinetown on "Industry Night", which is the night when all the other local theaters are dark. Which means, all the other famous actor stars come to see that show. It was like being in high school again, gasping and whispering and pointing at all the celebrities.

At that particular time, Denver was hosting the Pre-Broadway world opening of Disney's The Little Mermaid. I shook hands with King Triton and almost fainted. Yep, he is that good looking in person.

Phamaly is performing another show this summer: Sideshow. I am interested in how the play will be portrayed, but I've never seen Sideshow before. Just thinking about what the name conjures in my mind makes me a little uneasy, however. I would never want to support a group which places people who are different on exhibit. The actors in this league are totally amazing individuals who have dealt with a heckuva lot more obstacles in their daily lives than I ever will (God willing).

Ultimately, I am very excited to see the talent this group has to offer again and will definitely post a gushing completely non-biased review of the show afterward.

No comments: